Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Best for Last!

So, on day 10 we read the poem and it went like this:
On the 10th day of Christmas, boredom set in
Outside was a blizzard, the house empty within
To the DVD shelf, Mom and Dad went
After 10 minutes o f looking, they decided to rent
On a day such as this, when it's cold outside
You can hop in your car and go for a ride
Cook up something sweet, an evening so fine
Merry Christmas Mom and Dad, here's some "alone" time.

We got Redbox codes for our favorite movie rental place  (Redbox) and hot chocolate mix with marshmallows.
We love this gift.


On Day 11 we read the poem:
On the eleventh day of Christmas your children gave to you:
Just like Santa has his little helpers--this little helper is for YOU!

I opened a brand new wonderful electric can opener! I have wanted one for so long and it is a really nice one. Of course Carrie did all the research and made sure it was a good one and now I have a can opener that works! And it is really pretty, too.


On Day 12 we opened the best gift of all! Each of our kids wrote a letter expressing their love for us! They wrote it with their spouses except for Jessie and Garan and each of them wrote them their own letters. And the biggest surprise is that Jordan's arrived in the mail today! Dennis and I turned all the lights out on Christmas Eve except the Christmas Tree lights and at a minute past midnight, we opened this gift. We didn't know what it was, but as soon as we started reading the letters, it was apparant that it was the best gift of all the gifts. As we took turns reading outloud each letter, we became very emotional and Dennis had a hard time finishing any of the letters he read. Our kids and their spouses really are amazing and we don't know what we did to deserve such wonderful kids. It was a sweet ending to fabulous day and we are still talking about those letters! Today in the mail, Jordan sent a package with ties for his 3 friends who have been preparing to serve missions plus one for his brother. He included a letter to us that was one of the sweetest letters I have recieved from him. Again, a very emotional reading as Dennis read it to me.  This has been a remarkable Christmas and one that I will treasure in my heart forever. Thanks, kids. I love you all!
Oh, and Dad is busy scanning the letters so that I can scrapbook them (digitally) and re-live this memory anytime I want!

3 comments:

ClaysJenna said...

So glad Jordan wrote a letter so they can all go together:) Thank you for the wonderful Christmas!! Sad its all over with! Love you tons!

Carrie said...

I am glad you liked the 12 days! It really is a fun tradition :) you have started for us.

Alicia said...

What a great Christmas gift and a perfect ending! That gift will be so nice for years and years after all the other gifts have faded.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!