Tuesday, November 11, 2008


We went to our first "empty nesters" Family Home Evening last night. It was fun. We have some great empty nesters in our ward. We had a great lesson and laughed and talked and ate really good ice cream sundaes and then talked about our children. Isn't that what we always end up doing at some point when we get together with others? Even if they don't have kids, we talk about ours. The truth is, our children define us, we don't always admit it and it shouldn't be that way, but our children are who we are. I may be a lot of things, but I am always "mom" first. Not that I always prioritize my life that way, just define it that way. So, when my "kids in the home" stage of life came to an abrupt end, I wasn't sure how I felt about the whole title of "empty nesters" and where it meant I was in my life. After G&J got married and it really was just me and LOML, I was a little depressed. A little unsure of this part of my life. I have spent the vast majority of my life with children in my home and being a mom. Dennis and I had 9 months without children at home and 30 years with. It took a little adjustment...a little getting used to...a little uncertainty...it took about 2 days! I am still trying to deal with the corny title of empty nesters but the actual place I am in is nothing short of fabulous! 
Did I love those years of raising children? Oh yeah, with every part of my being and all of my heart!
Do I miss having them and their friends in my home? Absolutely.
Would I want to do it all over again? Nope. 
Life is good. My kids are happy and healthy and I love them to pieces. They've brought wonderful spouses into the mix and I adore every one of them. I have grandchildren! Oh, happy day. Oh, happy life. I just love, love, love them! And since the LOML and I like each other a lot, we are having a blast! 
Empty nesters? What ever you want to call it, it's all good.

3 comments:

Angie Adam said...

Empty nesters family home evening sounds so fun =) Granted, I will hopefully have a nest to empty before I attend one of them but it sounds like a good thing :)

ClaysJenna said...

For being empty nesters your house is never empty!! I love that I am close enough to come over whenever!! :)

Stacie said...

Cute post! And I loved Jenna's comment is too true. It hasn't hit me yet that you're an empty nester because honestly, when is your house empty? :)