Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Thoughts 2

Almost all of the Halloween decorations I have, and definitely all the cute ones, are from my mother-in-law.  Every year, until recently,  we got a new one and they are all "over-the-top" cute and fun! I have to admit that I never really liked Halloween and so I think she might have felt sorry for my kids and their lack of decorations so she tried to make up for my slacker attitude. Or it could be she is actually a kid at heart and loves Halloween, or it could be that she loves doing things to make her grandkids smile:) I am sure it is a little of all those things and a lot of the last one. Anyway, everything was handmade...and did I mention they were fabulous?
Over the years we have gotten a darling giant fabric pumpkin, (Jordan wore it for a Halloween costume once) 
a fabric "Boo!" hanging thing, a large fabric pumpkin treat holder (Dennis put sunglasses and a hat on it this year!), a cute, cute ghost wind sock, a witches costume, and so much more. I love them all, but my hands-down favorite is one I like to call Boris. I LOVE Boris! I can't think of any holiday decoration I love more than Boris. He is just so dang cute! He doesn't stay standing well in the wind so he is bungie corded to the post this year. I worry about him getting stolen so I bring him in at night or when I leave. Dennis sighs over this because he has to help me bungie and un-bungie him each time. But Dennis "gets" me and how much I  love Boris and so he smiles through the sighs. 

BORIS the Adorable

There is a good reason that I worry about my cute things being stolen. I used to make the darling giant pumpkin into what I liked to cleverly call, "Pumpkin Man." I put pants coming out of the bottom, a shirt coming out of the body for arms and then stuffing everything and setting him on a chair on the porch. He was very cute in a pumpkin-scarecrow sort of way, and I loved him. One year, the day after Halloween, I came out and Pumpkin Man AND the way cute Ghost Windsock (Ghostlee) were gone! I was pretty upset because first of all, I tend to get attached to THINGS (I know, one of my many faults), and secondly, Hellooo...this is "Kaysville the Beautiful" and I couldn't believe someone would steal my things HERE! So, I grieved over the loss of Pumpkin Man and Ghostlee. The next day, I was driving somewhere and there by the side of the road was Pumpkin Man! What a miracle, he had escaped and was coming home! I was overjoyed. The pants and shirt were missing, but he had his shoes. I cleaned him up and vowed to never be negligent again. Unfortunately, I never found Ghostlee and I still get sad over losing him. Every year I drive around town in October and see if anyone dares hang Ghostlee for Halloween. I WILL steal him back if I ever find him. That's what you do when you love THINGS! 


2 comments:

ClaysJenna said...

Haha I forgot how that stuff got stolen. I love that you will steal it back (and I totally dont blame you!) I LOVE all my decorations that Grandma made too...so darling!!

Anonymous said...

I love this whole post. Made me laugh. I love the way you write. And I LOVE that you posted TWO in a row like this!! :) Keep up the good work!! :) hehehe.
Oh, and your decor is awesome!