Think, think, think.
I decided to go for a more challenging item: I know, how about....
No eating out!
For seven weeks!
(That's how long Lent lasts)
Wow! This is huge for me. I eat out lunch almost every day and eat out dinner at least three times a week. (See #29 on my 100's list). Oh, this is big!
Dennis and I ate out and stuffed ourselves on Fat Tuesday.
We ate fish on Ash Wednesday. And I started Lent.
I'm on day #4 and daaayaaam this is hard.
So, I'm trying to figure out if getting a Papa Murphy's pizza counts as going out? What about calling my favorite Chinese or Thai place and ordering take-out? Hmmm. Probably.
The flip side to all this is that Dennis ends up giving up going out for seven weeks also, (at least on weekends and Tamale Day at Cafe Rio). He's actually okay with it. It's the whole money thing for him. That, and he's actually excited for the challenge of cooking at home everyday. He thinks we can make delicious, fun dinners on the weekends. (We did make a killer Japanese dinner last night.) Six more weekends to go. He also thinks it is cheating if I order out or get Papa Murphy's. He doesn't even observe Lent but apparantly feels obligated to help me observe it.
I will get a break when we go to Las Vegas in a week-and-a-half and I can't wait. Crab at Bellagio and In and Out everyday! Fabulous food for 4 days. A little oasis in my desert of Lent.
Course, if I really was Catholic, I would probably pack lunch stuff and get food at the grocery stores to eat while there.
But this is My Lent, My way. And I love it.
6 comments:
Oh mom you are a riot!! My all time favorite line is picturing you saying "daaaayaaam"!!! I love it!! Oh, and how dad thinks he should "help" you observe it. You two crack me up. LOVED this post mom. And LOVE you!
** Sorry, I had to delete the first comment - it put me as Jenna.
Love it, momma!! You are a stronger woman than me!! I also loved the daaayaam!! haha:) You are my favorite!!! Love you tons!!!
Haaaaa ha ha ha! This post kills me. "Daaayaaam!" Hee hee hee. I am sooo impressed with you giving up eating out. I don't eat out a lot, but if I absolutely couldn't for 7 weeks, I'd go nuts. No Papa Murphy's?!!!
Hellloooo, no eating out? What about our birthday dinner? We still haven't gone out for your birthday and now Dennis is this week! We were so looking forward to going out and now we have to wait 7 weeks?? Can we still get together and eat in and play cards and listen to our ultimate 70 & 80's rock CD's? We have so much fun just hanging out with you guys!
["...A little oasis in my desert of Lent. Course, if I really was Catholic..."] You are hilarious.
Did anyone catch the irony? (Lent represents Jesus's 40-days of sacrifice in the desert preparing for his mission.) And if you were really Catholic, you would have gone to Mass on Ash Wednesday and had ashes put on your forehead! And you might consider next year giving up swearing for Lent.
Post a Comment