Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Temple Night Lights

From my kitchen window I can see the Bountiful Temple. I love looking at it, especially at night. I am not sure how or when it started but several times a week Jordan and I would stand in front of the window at night and watch until the Temple lights went out. I don't know why this was so fascinating to us, it just was. One minute the temple was lit up, and the next it was gone. It happens every night right around 11:00 p.m. We figured it wasn't on a timer because it wasn't at the exact same time every night and so we wondered if someone was responsible for turning the lights off every night. While we waited the few minutes each time, we would talk about trivial things (like who had the responsibility for turning the lights off) or about deep things (like missions), and other times we just watched in comfortable silence.
Sometimes I would be in another room and Jordan would yell, "Mom hurry, the lights are going to go off!" Other days it would be me hollering for Jordan.
Silly. Really, it was.
But I often find myself at the window looking out just before 11:00 watching for that magical moment...and missing Jordan.

6 comments:

ClaysJenna said...

I remember you telling me about watching the lights turn off with Jordan. Man, I miss him, too! I just might see if I can see the temple through my window and then we can watch together but at different houses:)

Grandma's Cookie Jar said...

That's so special. Douglas just graduated from BYU-I and we helped he and his wife Ashley load up a moving van and we're off to GA. They could see the Rexburg temple every day from their window and it was so gorgeous and comforting. We all went through the Nauvoo temple yesterday and today and it's so gorgeous. We met your friend Sis. Whitaker here in Nauvoo. She has been here for 4 months on her mission. She says, 'Hi.' :o)

holo said...

We had a woman in Kona who opposed the temple when it was proposed to the County here. After it was built, she wrote a letter to the editor apologizing and saying how comforting she found seeing it's light at night from her window.

Alicia said...

How sweet - I love all the fun little daily ins and outs of family life. It's those little things - running to the drug store at 11:30 at night in your pajamas, watching the temple lights go out every night, that I find myself missing the most when I'm away from family. He's half-way done! =)

lbevan said...

It was so fun seeing you guys in our ward today. It was like old times. Here is my email address,
bevan17@msn.com, check with Stacie and Carrie and see if I can be added to their blogs.
Thanks

Amanda Lynn and Joseph Michael said...

Pam, I am going to ask the same thing that my mother asked. Could you maybe send my email address to Carrie and Stacie so that I could view their blogs? I hear so many good things about them, I would love to view them myself. My email address is manders_242@hotmail.com. Thank you!