Monday, July 6, 2009

I Heart Reading


I think one of the reasons I love to read is because my mother loved to read. We went to the library every week or so and we would roam the library aisles with pure abandoment and choose books to our hearts content. If I found an especially delicious book I would sit at the little tables in the little chairs and begin reading while the rest of the kids finished deciding. In the summer I would lay outside on a blanket, or draped across the couch, or on my bed and read all afternoon. A lot of times we would go to the park and after lunch and playing on the swings my mom would read a chapter book to us as we lay on the grass and lazily listened. The whole world was going on around us but we were transported to a world with "The Hardy Boys" or "The Boxcar Children" or "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm." We had stories at bedtime and stories while we waited in the car for my dad. My mom would tell family history stories or scripture stories while we worked together in the house or outside and while we drove in the car. We had music also and sometimes I remember the music the most. But in the summer I remember the books and the stories and the great escape it provided.

So this summer with no classes, no work, and very few distractions, I am reading and reading and reading. I went to San Diego with Dennis for 5 days and while he worked, I read. I went to Montana with Dennis for 3 days and while he worked, I read.
Here I am, once again transported to far away places while the world goes on around me. It's a good place to be. Thanks, mom.

5 comments:

holo said...

Were we raised in the same household? I sometimes hate that I don't have vivid memories like that! I try, and I just get fog.

ClaysJenna said...

Thanks Grandma and thanks momma...you instilled the same love of reading in me!!

[;l/l./j-Love JJ

Alicia said...

Ooo, sounds like a dream to me, I just love reading, too!

And your quilting trip sounds like it was TOO MUCH FUN!! I think I would be counting down the days until the next one, too! How fun.

Katie Gleed said...

I love to read too! I just discovered this! You're summer sounds phenominal!

DaPaPaG said...

I'm with Curt here, Pam. I think she must have sent me and Curt off to the other swings on the other end of the park to play while she read to you guys (probably so Curt wouldn't stomp on all your Fairies or something...)...This is a fog to me too...

Kenny