She had four older sisters that she adored. She had a baby brother that she adored. She adored her mama. But the person she loved the most was her daddy. She followed him around and said, "Dad, dad" in a sing-song sort of way. She was totally a daddy's girl. And her daddy loved it. He had an office downstairs and several times a day I would hear her start down the stairs saying, "Dad-dad" and by the time I would get to her, she would be sitting on her daddy's lap and he would be working with her there. Content.
The few words she knew were always said twice in the same sing-song way: mom-mom, bye-bye, ow-ow, and oops-oops. She threw her pacifier out of her crib everynight. Dozens of times. Carrie would say, "Megan, stop that" and then she would get it and hand it back to her. Megan would giggle because this was the most fun she had. Then Carrie would laugh and then Megan would throw the pacifier. It was a bedtime ritual and she never got tired of it.
This beautiful, dark haired, blue-eyed baby of mine was sunshine. And then she was gone. On a normal, warm September day she died.
I am grateful for the chance to begin to get to know this little angel that I loved as my daughter, thankful for 18 short months but when she left me, she took part of the sunshine. She took part of my heart. She changed my life forever. And, I miss her. I miss her.
10 comments:
ahh how sweet. every year when we mark this day, I can't help but feel so sad yet I have so much admiration for you, mom. I do not even know how you dealt with that. We all understand so much more the pain of that now that we have our own kids. I can't wait for the day we all get to see out little sister again. We love you guys and are thinking of you!
Thank you for sharing this Pam. For me I was still so young and it helps me know who she was. I admire you and the challenges you have faced. Love you!!
I couldn't have said it better than Carrie. She sure was a beautiful little baby. That dark hair and beautiful blue eyes remind me of Ally at times. I love you Mom! I love you.
You are amazing Pam. The first time that I saw Garan cry was when he told me about his sister, Megan. I am excited to meet her. We love you guys and we are thinking of you!
Oh mom that was so sweet. Totally got me emotional. I'm so sorry you have to know what losing a baby feels like - you and dad are amazing. Sweet post. Love and miss her, too :)
Oh my dear Pam. It doesn't seem like that long ago and yet so much time has gone by. I remember it was so funny how she always had to be holding a binkie, and have one in her mouth--always two binkies. She was so beautiful, and darling. I can see her sitting on the floor of the living room in the other house and a stream of kids running from the kitchen out the front door and Megan watching back and forth and back and forth as all the kids ran through with a big smile on her face, and her binkie still in her mouth. So sweet. One of the most precious memories of my life was when Kenny and I went to see Megan at the hospital. As we came through the door I remember being overwhelmed by the most noble, majestic spirit I had ever felt. I knew we were in the presence of someone...I can't even thing of the right word...royal? The spirit was so strong. I believe it was Megan's true spirit keeping watch over her failing body. It was such a tender, powerful experience. I am sad that you had to give her up so soon. And so grateful that your time with her is not over. Love you.
I am in awe at how you and Dennis ever survived such a tragedy with so much faith. You have made such a tribute to Megan by keeping her memory alive in the traditions you do for her with your family. She was blessed to be born into such a loving family to some incredible parents. We love you guys and are so grateful for your friendship and inspiring example. Thanks for sharing such intimate feelings and memories of your sweet baby girl so we can get to know a tiny bit of her through you. You are amazing!
I remember that day too, Pamela. Even before I knew you as I know you now, I remember life flight landing in the field. I remember hearing the news that you and Dennis had lost your baby girl. I remember sitting in the chapel at the stake center watching your family file in as the services started. I didn't know you well, but I remember how heavy my heart was for you that day. I have come to know you and the rest of your family since then...I love you all.
(I deleted my first post because I left something out=)
My dear Auntie Pam. I know that I don't remember the day, But I am sad that I never had the chance to get to know my beautiful cousin. I think of you every year on Mar. 27. I remember when Jenna told me about Megan. She showed me pictures and talked about how precious she was in the family. I love hearing you guys talk about her. I can feel the love you have for her. I'm glad to be able to know a piece of her through you. You are truly amazing, love you.
Post a Comment