Saturday, May 1, 2010

Grandma Time

I love when my kids go on trips because it means I get to tend grandkids. Love it! So today we sent Chandie and Alan off to Las Vegas and I finished getting Cabe and the rest ready for Cabe's soccer game. It was 8:15. The game is at 9:00. By 8:30 they all were dressed, fed, cleaned up and Cabe was putting on his soccer shin guards, socks, and shoes. Stockton was totally ready and watching TV and Cole was totally ready, shoes and all. I help get shin guards on, because Cabe is very silly with them and has both on one leg and is asking me where the other one is. So funny. I am feeling very proud of myself that things are going so well. Next, he gets his LONG soccer socks on and I look around realizing it has been a few minutes since I heard Cole. "Stockton, where's Cole?" No response. "Stockton, where's Cole?" "I don't know." Hmmm. It hasn't been that long since I was a mom of little boys to know that it's never good when you realize they have been too quiet. Just then, I hear a faint, "Grandma" and I realize he is outside in the back yard and wants to come in. How did that happen? I go to let him in and he motions for me to follow him--it's raining--and when I do I realize it is because he has been IN THE MUD! One of his shoes is still in the mud and he wants me to get it. Ha Ha. Not me. I send him in for it since he is already covered in mud anyway. I turn around and there is Cabe, still in his LONG soccer socks but no shoes. He has walked across the whole yard in the wet, wet grass in the only pair of soccer socks he owns. Ahhhh! I pick up Cole and the muddy shoes, hustle Cabe inside and pull his socks off and throw them in the dryer, completely undress then redress Cole, wash off his shoes because I can't find another pair for him that are not flip flops, and now we are going to be late. How did I forget all about this??? Stockton is still watching Tom and Jerry, totally oblivious to the Grandma Meltdown going on. Cabe puts wet socks back on, because seriously, how dry can they get in just a few minutes? I push his shoes on him and we run, run, run! He is exactly 7 minutes late for his game but there are only 2 other kids there and one more comes at the same time as Cabe. They grab him to play and all is forgiven because they now have enough players. And I realize that when they say motherhood is not for sissies, they are speaking the truth! I also realize that I forgot how fast the best-laid plan can fall apart and how stinking cute little boys are in spite of themselves!

5 comments:

ClaysJenna said...

Love it!! I can see Stockton just watching tv oblivious to what is going on around him way too funny! Cole LOVES outside...I've witnessed it. He is lightening quick to the back door and silently slips out. Too funny!!!

Carrie said...

Seriously funny! Welcome back to motherhood for a day, anyway!

The Maumau's said...

That is too funny Pam! I love it! Classic story of a mother. Have a fun weekend!

Alicia said...

So hilarious - that is exactly the way it goes! Everything on track and then...the toddler kicks in and there is nothing you can do about it! =)

Anonymous said...

Oh mom - that makes me laugh - it reminds me why I needed that vacation! :) haha - Hope you know how much I love and appreciate you. My boys simply worship their "Grandma Time" you are amazing.